- BASIC PREMISE + Research Links about Dying Trees
- Five Radio Interviews, Video of Fall Foliage + Contact Information
- More Links to Recent Research
- Visit the Apocalypsi Library at the End of the World
- Pillage, Plunder & Pollute, LLC - free download AND watch the movie - The Silent War on Trees
- Whispers From the Ghosting Trees - Guest Post at Greg Laden's Science Blog
Monday, March 14, 2011
Minami Sanriku, Pulverized and Silent
The first western reporter to arrive at the scene writes, in an article well worth reading, "In my 30 years as a war correspondent I have covered more than 20 conflicts and several major earthquakes, but I have never seen anything on this scale," and adds..."There is no crying, no hysteria, no anger. It is in the psyche of the Japanese people to do what they have to do in silence and with dignity...As we look on, rescuers gently retrieve another body, cradled in a filthy blanket - all they had to hand. The love, respect and ceremony with which these people wrap their dead - people they knew - is perhaps more touching than any tears."
Update: I have to include this trenchant comment by Mike Roddy from the discussion at Climate Progress, because it expounds brilliantly on the perils of our current energy policy:
Nuclear industry propaganda has been effective even among Climate Progress commenters. Actually, nuclear power is a total joke: dangerous on multiple levels, finite, financially unfeasible, and designed to maintain control of power generation by banks, utility companies, and multinational engineering firms.
This is without even considering disposal issues- which are not solvable- and the problem of production of weapons compatible plutonium that will last for thousands of years. the only question is whether terrorists or governments will grab and possibly use those awful weapons.
Now, we’re hearing that Chernobyl was the Russians’ fault, that Three Mile Island was no big deal, and that Japan is going to be just fine, and that the alarmists need to shut up. It’s not just that they are worse than the fossil fuel companies: they are the same, because they serve each others’ purposes. Nuclear is doomed to fail, enabling people like the Kochs to pump gas, oil, and coal into our air for many more decades if we let them.
Obama could rise to the occasion here, and announce to the country and the world that the time has come for truly clean and renewable power. The people would support this effort. Between the Executive branch and the public, our pitiful excuse of a Congress could be shamed and defeated on the most important issue in human history.
Instead, the President is still saying “all of the above”, including nuclear, gas and “clean coal”. It might just have be up to the people after all.
The US has an historic opportunity to lead here. We are the ones who detonated the bombs in Japan, a country whose suffering is heartbreaking and undeserved. The Japanese are ready to go forward, and so is Germany, Scandinavia, and the rest of the world. If we don’t take this opportunity to do the right thing, any remaining claims to global leadership or even influence will disappear forever."
- ► 2016 (14)
- ► 2015 (33)
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (113)
- ► 2012 (179)
- The National Security Perspective on Climate Change
- Koch Kills on the Ed Show!
- A Poem by Rebecca Babbett
- The Koch Victims Vindicated in the Weekly Standard!
- London Riots, while Spiders Web Trees on the Other...
- Squabbling over the Scraps at Tamino's Closed "Ope...
- From worldwide Enormity to local Minutiae
- I curate therefore I am!
- Back to the Burden
- Nuclear Pinocchios
- "Everything Is A Secret"
- Live Streaming Video from Japan Nuclear Meltdowns
- Rush Limbaugh is a Pig Without Lipstick
- Tsunami Haiku
- Alexandra Wallace and David Sanger would be the pe...
- RAGE - I'm just furious!
- Fukushima Radiation
- Minami Sanriku, Pulverized and Silent
- Pictures from Japan
- Fukushima Japan...Pictures of Chernobyl...and Nucl...
- This is America
- Watts Up With That!
- How Science Became Obsolete...and Scientists Irrel...
- The BALDing Syndrome
- Why the Right Wing Hates Wikileaks
- We the People
- "Earth-Raping Dictator-Supporting House GOP Brings...
- ▼ March (29)
- ► 2010 (383)