Friday, August 27, 2010

Agricultural Fare

It's time for the annual 4-H Agricultural County Fair.

The pig races are adorable!
It's amazing how seriously these farmers take their jobs.
A baby goat nibbles on youngest daughter's shirt!
Much as I am happy to see her, I see forebodings of disaster on her horizon, and it terrifies me.
There is no way I can pretend that this view from the fair to the fields is anything other than looming disaster.
Gloom?
More like Doom...
And the burgeoning population of a hitherto scarce beetle that is attacking coffee plants is also blamed on warming. Don't these scientists know that ozone increases the susceptibility of plants to insect attacks? The NYTimes ran a story today titled "Pondering Sculpture Under Manhattan Trees" with this picture:
I'm so sorry, but those trees are dying. The ground beneath is fake, plastic - not green, growing grass. The Times also did a piece on Mark Twain's visits to New York, with the following marvelous quote about Wave Hill, an estate where he stayed with views of the Hudon:

“I believe we have the noblest roaring blasts here I have ever known on land; they sing their hoarse song through the big tree-tops with a splendid energy that thrills me and stirs me and uplifts me and makes me want to live always.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

My Blog List

Search This Blog

Followers

counter