The massive ice sheets that cover Greenland and Antarctica are thinning rapidly, say British researchers who have analyzed 50 million laser measurements from a NASA satellite.
Researchers from the British Antarctic Survey and the University of Bristol said the most dramatic loss of ice was the result of glaciers flowing into the sea at a faster rate.
"We think that warm ocean currents reaching the coast and melting the glacier front is the most likely cause of faster glacier flow," Hamish Pritchard of the British Antarctic Survey said in a statement.
The scientists said data from the ICEsat instrument on NASA's Earth Observing System satellite showed that "dynamic thinning" can be seen on the coastlines of Greenland and Antarctica and is spreading into the interiors of the ice sheets.
"We were surprised to see such a strong pattern of thinning glaciers across such large areas of coastline," said Pritchard. "It's widespread and in some cases thinning extends hundreds of kilometres inland."
In Antarctica, the ice sheet is thinning fastest in West Antarctica. The Pine Island Glacier and the Smith and Thwaites Glacier are thinning at a rate of nine metres per year.
The authors of the study, which appears this week in Nature, said the results of the satellite measurements are important to accurately predict rises in sea level as the ice melts into the ocean.
original link here
- BASIC PREMISE + Research Links about Dying Trees
- Five Radio Interviews, Video of Fall Foliage + Contact Information
- More Links to Recent Research
- Visit the Apocalypsi Library at the End of the World
- Pillage, Plunder & Pollute, LLC - free download AND watch the movie - The Silent War on Trees
- Whispers From the Ghosting Trees - Guest Post at Greg Laden's Science Blog
Thursday, September 24, 2009
CBC News - Technology & Science - Polar ice sheets melting into sea: study
These maps show the pattern of surface height change over the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets for the 2003-2008 period. Red areas indicate where the surface height is lowering. (H. Pritchard, British Antarctic Survey)
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2016 (14)
- ► 2015 (33)
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (113)
- ► 2012 (179)
- ► 2011 (299)
- ► 2010 (383)
- Cascading Synergy
- We Are All Watermelon Now
- the letter that started the nursery notice
- The Overpopulation Canard
- Sometimes, I haz a sadz
- Every year the Essex Fox Hounds holds the Hunter T...
- State of Calamity
- What's killing the Aspen?
- Tonight on the TeeVee
- Greenman Video
- A Toad
- CBC News - Technology & Science - Polar ice sheets...
- The Smoking Gun
- Stop and Smell the Roses
- The Age of Stupid
- "How to Address Climate and Air Quality Simultaneo...
- The Parallel Universe
- Message from Bill McKibbon, founder of 350.org
- A Lovely Video
- THE Explanation for Just About Everything
- Extreme Ice
- Nom de Plume
- say it ain't so...
- Thank You For Not Breeding
- hint: it wasn't global warming
- Stolen from Mind Over Blather
- What Paul Gilding Told Me to Tell My Children
- Six Degrees
- Message from Paul Gilding
- Must See!
- Labor Day
- Oh, never mind about the trees. We are so doomed!
- Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary
- Squealing (Catastrophic Bifurcations)
- Help Wanted
- Dire Emergency
- Exchange of Messages with the Doris Duke Charitabl...
- ▼ September (42)
My Blog List
Never believe the Official Story6 years ago
A Modest Proposal3 years ago
Top Episodes3 years ago
Here’s Your Proof6 years ago
Signs Posted In 20201 year ago
Stunning recovery of Arctic Sea Ice10 years ago
THE COMING CRISIS HAS MOVED!8 years ago
The Politics of Extinction2 weeks ago
Moderate PM 2.5 along West Coast4 years ago
Post a Comment