This is an interesting report especially in the context of my latest comment at climateprogress:
“The memorandum called for an emergency package of financial support for tropical forest nations, as the loss of forests is responsible for about 18 per cent of global carbon emissions.” - from the timesonline report, headline above “Global Warming must stay below 2C”. (which can be found here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6380709.ece
There aren’t going to be any tropical forests because the tropical rain patterns are radically different and going to become more erratic. I’m all for conservation but these scientists are suffering from some sort of delusion if they actually think the tropical rain forests - or any forests anywhere - can survive climate change, let alone absorb excess CO2.
Canada already figured out that they can’t claim their boreal forest offsets their carbon output and withdrew the figure from calculations. The boreal forest is now a net emitter of carbon, not a sink.
It’s time to reframe the question and try to figure out how humans can survive climate change.
- BASIC PREMISE + Research Links about Dying Trees
- Four Radio Interviews, Video of Fall Foliage + Contact Information
- More Links to Recent Research
- Visit the Apocalypsi Library at the End of the World
- Pillage, Plunder & Pollute, LLC - free download AND watch the movie - The Silent War on Trees
- Whispers From the Ghosting Trees - Guest Post at Greg Laden's Science Blog
- ► 2016 (14)
- ► 2015 (33)
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (113)
- ► 2012 (179)
- ► 2011 (299)
- ► 2010 (383)
- After the competition, a barbeque!
- First Place in the Pouring Rain!
- Comments to this story http://www.sciencedaily.com...
- end of May
- compelling videos
- Les fleurs
- Another way to fritter away time on the intertubes...
- Richard Pauli's excellent blog
- posting links so they work, no more cut and paste!...
- Yale report
- ha ha delightful, comments and CLICK at the end on...
- I've been following the links provided to me last ...
- The health effects of climate change
- the ups and downs
- A female Hispanic judge, oh my!
- Today I had occasion to drive over the Berna...
- comment to climateprogress.org
- party's over
- The Garden of the Finzi-Continis
- the Universe
- Here are some more samples of spring leaves ...
- I forgot
- Here are extremely stressed flora - a pine, an...
- evidence of positive feedbacks
- Obama at Notre Dame
- Lunching With The Glitterati (and you thought I wa...
- Thrift and Frugality
- A mother bird, and scenery
- The British Invasion
- cats and chaos
- Correspondence with the Cicada Dude, and pictures ...
- Early May in the Garden
- How to fiddle while Rome burns
- A prescient blog, but pre-Obama
- Love it love it!
- ahem! What I want for Mother's Day
- the disappearing glacier, tomatos, and snowpack in...
- May pictures
- lunch with Moxie
- the wildfire season in California starts early
- I have stolen this post from Mark B over at climat...
- brilliant video
- note to Susan, who lives in Massachusetts
- dark green humor
- What to call it?
- Effects of Climate Chaos
- a post today at climateprogress.org
- response to Frank Rich
- ▼ May (57)