- BASIC PREMISE + Research Links about Dying Trees
- Four Radio Interviews, Video of Fall Foliage + Contact Information
- More Links to Recent Research
- Visit the Apocalypsi Library at the End of the World
- Pillage, Plunder & Pollute, LLC - free download AND watch the movie - The Silent War on Trees
- Whispers From the Ghosting Trees - Guest Post at Greg Laden's Science Blog
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
The last line from the newscaster is classic: "Experts at the scene today don't think anyone killed the birds intentionally." Right. We killed them unintentionally.
According to a review issued jointly by the UN Environment Programme and Woods Hole Research Center, "Reactive Nitrogen in the Environment", pollution from burning fuels, sewage, and excessive fertilization in industrial agriculture triggers algal blooms in lakes, rivers and coastal waters, which take oxygen out of the water resulting in hypoxic or anoxic regions. This loss of oxygen causes other forms of life to expire, and then again, some of those algal blooms are toxic, like the red tide in the picture above, poisoning whatever eats contaminated seafood. Like those birds on the beach in Moss Landing.
"Global map of 199 coastal oxygen depletion zones related to anthropogenic eutrophication. Updated from Diaz et al., 2004, by personal communication from R. Diaz, 2007."
"Diagram of the biogeochemical nitrogen cascade, showing the major fluxes of reactive nitrogen among atmospheric, terrestrial, freshwater and estuarine systems in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. These inputs of reactive N to the Bay are attributed to three source types: energy production, food and fiber production, and wastewater. Arrow width varies according to flux size. Adapted from Moomaw and Birch, 2005." This model is applicable to other estuaries as well.
Thanks to the Coming Crisis for posting the newscast
- ► 2015 (23)
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (113)
- Collateral Damage
- But...I Thought Global Warming Is A Hoax!
- to Traffic Cleverly in the Soulful Poetry of Ruina...
- Bats - plus Bees and Trees, Whales and Snails
- The Senator Self-Immolates
- "Just Because You Can't See It, Doesn't Mean It Is...
- Arboreal Composition
- I haz a Website!
- Frazil Ice and Moonbows
- Bleached Bones and Jumbled Residue
- Occupy Congress...and Chris Hedges Sues Obama!
- Occupy Freedom - Martin Luther King speaks against...
- All But Obliterated
- Cholera: Something To Look Forward To
- Mitt Romney, Job Slayer
- An Alternative in the New Hampshire Primaries - Ve...
- Doing the Maths
- Another Long Strange Trip
- An Essential Conversation with Chris Hedges - Brac...
- Where are the Ducks?
- The WAGES of Sin...an Environmental Scourge
- ▼ January (22)
- ► 2011 (299)
- ► 2010 (383)