The extra soil emissions could come from two types of sources: microbes and plants. If plant roots are emitting more carbon dioxide, the additional flux could be balanced by increasing rates of photosynthesis, resulting in no net increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide.
In contrast, warming soils could prompt microbes to break down old sources of carbon that have been locked away for a long time. This would cause a net increase in the atmosphere's store of carbon dioxide.
Although the study shows an increase in respiration, it can't distinguish between the two potential causes.
- BASIC PREMISE + Research Links about Dying Trees
- Five Radio Interviews, Video of Fall Foliage + Contact Information
- More Links to Recent Research
- Visit the Apocalypsi Library at the End of the World
- Pillage, Plunder & Pollute, LLC - free download AND watch the movie - The Silent War on Trees
- Whispers From the Ghosting Trees - Guest Post at Greg Laden's Science Blog
Friday, March 26, 2010
To Be Filed Under: Nobody Has A Clue
Pollution from Asia Circles Globe at Stratospheric Heights from Science Daily
Soils emitting more Carbon Dioxide from Nature.com
Would it be too much to speculate as to whether another possibility exists, which is that vegetation is dying back at an accelerating rate from exposure to toxic greenhouse gases, rotting into the soils, and this could account for the detection of higher rates of CO2 emissions?
No....never mind...just watch the movie.
- ► 2016 (14)
- ► 2015 (33)
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (113)
- ► 2012 (179)
- ► 2011 (299)
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood!
- Rain Rain Rain
- That Was Then and This Is Now
- Lost Species
- To Be Filed Under: Nobody Has A Clue
- This is what warmer + drier looks like
- Say Whaaa???
- An American Dad's Tour de Force!
- Pass the Popcorn!
- La Sylphide
- Hit the Road, Jack!
- Spring Delayed
- JCP&L the sequel
- I'm Melting, Melting!
- Rings of Fire
- The World's Oldest Trees
- Relax and Enjoy It
- Irrational Exhuberance
- JCP&L goes Postal
- Disoriented, and Bitter
- F. Scott Fitzgerald would NOT Approve
- The Anti-Arboreal Association
- George Carlin - Who Really Controls America
- Weekend Exploring
- 60 million pounds
- Message In a Bottle
- Wasn't I Just Saying...
- A Song from Catman306, and his comment
- The Best Kept Secret in Plain View
- Too Negative!
- Coffee Party Troll
- Heh. Heh.
- Handy Chart from ClimateProgress.org
- New Republic Notices CO2 + H2O = Carbonic Acid
- Greenman Hits it Out of the Park!
- Comments at the Coffee Party, and Pictures of Xynt...
- ▼ March (43)