"The other thing I have learned (as a chemist, not a biologist) is that similar symptoms on plants can arise from different causes, partly because plant responses to stress at the biochemical level can be similar, whether the stress is drought or air pollution. However, there are some responses that are visible and characteristic – e.g. stippling of leaves by ozone. That can be misleading – some plants may show stippling, and may shed their leaves early, and yet this may have little or no effect on plant growth. In other cases, plant growth may be hindered by air pollutants, but with no visible injuries.
- BASIC PREMISE + Research Links about Dying Trees
- Four Radio Interviews, Video of Fall Foliage + Contact Information
- More Links to Recent Research
- Visit the Apocalypsi Library at the End of the World
- Pillage, Plunder & Pollute, LLC - download my book about trees dying from pollution, published in Spring, 2012
- Whispers From the Ghosting Trees - Guest Post at Greg Laden's Science Blog
Monday, March 22, 2010
Hit the Road, Jack!
For aspiring nomads, The Doomer Report has a new post up with his usual trenchant analysis of "Collapse, Apocalypse and the Coming Dark Age" - enjoy!
This article from the Guardian reports that a blue-ribbon panel claims ozone causes 50,000 premature deaths per year in the UK. Vegetation is even more sensitive to ozone exposure than humans - and as the following excerpt from letter from one of the world's experts says unequivocally, background ozone is inexorably increasing:
- ► 2014 (33)
- ► 2013 (113)
- ► 2012 (179)
- ► 2011 (299)
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood!
- Rain Rain Rain
- That Was Then and This Is Now
- Lost Species
- To Be Filed Under: Nobody Has A Clue
- This is what warmer + drier looks like
- Say Whaaa???
- An American Dad's Tour de Force!
- Pass the Popcorn!
- La Sylphide
- Hit the Road, Jack!
- Spring Delayed
- JCP&L the sequel
- I'm Melting, Melting!
- Rings of Fire
- The World's Oldest Trees
- Relax and Enjoy It
- Irrational Exhuberance
- JCP&L goes Postal
- Disoriented, and Bitter
- F. Scott Fitzgerald would NOT Approve
- The Anti-Arboreal Association
- George Carlin - Who Really Controls America
- Weekend Exploring
- 60 million pounds
- Message In a Bottle
- Wasn't I Just Saying...
- A Song from Catman306, and his comment
- The Best Kept Secret in Plain View
- Too Negative!
- Coffee Party Troll
- Heh. Heh.
- Handy Chart from ClimateProgress.org
- New Republic Notices CO2 + H2O = Carbonic Acid
- Greenman Hits it Out of the Park!
- Comments at the Coffee Party, and Pictures of Xynt...
- ▼ March (43)